Monday, March 31, 2014

Time in Between!

Over the past years, I have learned so much more about adoption and all that entails.  For the past week I have been thinking about the time in between meeting your child and actually bringing him/her home. In international adoption, many countries require two trips: the first is to spend time with your child and have a formal meeting of some kind with officials and the second is bringing the child home.  With Hope, we waited about 4 weeks in between trips but she was young that she did not comprehend the wait.  I don't Lena understands her adoption situation either but Will certainly does.  So….. I am wondering does he wake up every morning thinking this might be the day.  Is someone at his orphanage reminding him that we are coming back?  And when?  Does he wonder if it really is going to happen?  Does he think about what his life will be like?  Does this scare him or excite him?  Does he realize he will not see his "group" or caregivers probably ever again?

This "time in between" doesn't make a lot of sense to me but it is what it is!  It is hard on us but for a child old enough to understand, I think it might be even a more difficult time.  I sent an email to our facilitator today asking her to make sure someone at Will's orphanage knows the date of our return and can remind him daily or as needed.  I pray this will be done, because it breaks my heart to think of him wondering "are they really coming back?"

No comments:

Post a Comment